Tuesday, June 13, 2006

These Are (the) Days

What's this? Break lights at the Durham Freeway interchange? It turns out that a tractor-trailer overturned about 6 miles ahead on Interstate 40, two of the four lanes are blocked. Oh joy, I can forget about getting to work on time.

Soon, I find myself in the middle of this parking lot on I-40. Traffic reports on the radio says the alternate route is packed. So I thought, might as well stay on 40 and have a look-see of this tractor-trailer, maybe I'll learn something.

More than 2 hours later, we finally crawled to the source of this mess, but they've already got it cleaned up so there's not much to see. Oh well. Little did I know this is just the beginning of an atypical day.

Not long after I turned on the computer, I realized that the cleaning crew has done it again: "cleaned" the computer monitor. "You call this clean?" I grumbled. It's now got streaks all over the screen, a lot dirtier than before this so-called "cleaning". I clean the monitor screen myself as needed, so I think it's time to put up a sign telling the crew not to clean this monitor.

I then find out that the Yahoo email system was infected by the "Yamanner" worm, and former Duke basketball star Redick was arrested for DWI. These are not the news you expect to hear on this already atypical day.

Still, in the grand scheme of things, most of this is just minor inconvenience. I put on the headphones for some music (it's Evanescence and Enya today) to block out the construction noise from next door, and soon, all those inconveniences were forgotten. These are (the) days.

"These are the days you might fill with laughter until you break."
- 10,000 Maniacs

2 comments:

alisonwonderland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TranquillicFlow said...

I'll just say it's "atypical".

Post a Comment